Privacy Notice for California Residents
Effective date: December 31, 2019
Information We Collect
Brown Paper Tickets collects information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device ('Personal Information'). In particular, Brown Paper Tickets has collected the following categories of Personal Information from its Users within the last twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers - A real name, alias, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, billing and/or mailing address, telephone number or other similar identifiers.
- Commercial information - Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet or other similar network activity - Browsing history, search history, information on a user's interaction with the Brown Paper Tickets website, applications, or products.
- Geolocation data – Internet Protocol address
How Information is Collected
Brown Paper Tickets collects information in two ways:
- Directly from users. For example, when purchasing an event ticket, a user must enter their credit card number, name, billing address, mailing address, email address, etc.
- Indirectly from users. For example, tracking a user's actions while using the Brown Paper Tickets website or other applications.
Use of Personal Information
Brown Paper Tickets may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you purchased an event ticket and your name needs to be on the will-call list to gain entry into the venue. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process refunds.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Sharing Personal Information
Brown Paper Tickets shares personal information with third parties for business purposes. When personal information is disclosed for a business purpose, Brown Paper Tickets enters into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. Examples of third parties that Brown Paper Tickets shares personal information with for business purposes are:
- Event organizers who put on an event that a user may have purchased tickets to.
- Credit card processors or other payment processors.
- Other service providers that may have access to portions of the Brown Paper Tickets databases.
Sale of Personal Information
Brown Paper Tickets does not sell user information.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that Brown Paper Tickets disclose information to you about the collection and use of user Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights below), we will disclose to you:
- The personal information we collected about you.
- The sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our commercial purpose for collecting your personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information for business purposes.
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, Brown Paper Tickets will disclose to you a list identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that Brown Paper Tickets delete any of your personal information collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights below), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
Brown Paper Tickets may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us using one of the following methods:
- Submit an online request
- Call Brown Paper Tickets at 800-838-3006
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we’ve collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
Brown Paper Tickets cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us.
Brown Paper Tickets will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response, Timing, and Information Format
Brown Paper Tickets endeavors to respond to a verifiable request within thirty (30) days of its receipt. If more time is required, Brown Paper Tickets will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
Any disclosures will only cover the 12-month period preceding receipt of the verifiable consumer request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons Brown Paper Tickets cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Brown Paper Tickets will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Changes to Our California Privacy Notice
Brown Paper Tickets reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When changes to this privacy notice are made, the modification date at the beginning of this Notice will change. Your continued use of Brown Paper Tickets products and services following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or complaints about this Privacy Notice or Brown Paper Tickets' information handling practices, you may email us at email@example.com or contact us at:
Brown Paper Tickets, LLC
220 Nickerson St
Seattle, WA 98109